RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

One way to navigate a forest.

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

One way to navigate a forest. Empty
PostSubject: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Yew was walking around in the Forest of Forever Fall. Arms behind her head, trenchcoat swaying behind her, whistling tunelessly.
She wasn't too bothered about the fact she had absolutely no clue where she was, or what direction would lead her back to civilisation. She was just having a stroll in the woods, away from the stress of reality.
She crouched down next to a tree to observe the bugs crawling on it.
She plonked down and let a few of them crawl on her, feeling like she had made some new friends.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Tyonis stood in a small clearing in the middle of the forest. His arms hung lightly at his sides, eyes closed. The Hunter-in-training took a deep breath and exhaled, releasing a visible pulse of his Aura along with an audible boom. The dirt, grass, and shrubbery bent noticeably under his power.

It was an advanced meditation exercise meant to keep his senses and Aura sharp in times of prolonged peace.

As Tyonis relaxed, his Aura diminished and eventually vanished.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Yew stood up slowly, so as not to upset her new friends.
Stretching, Yew continues her walk, still a little slow. She didn't want her new friends to be distressed.
Yew came across a clearing, where someone appeared to be meditating. He seemed to be exercising his Aura, from what she could tell.
She still needed to strengthen her Aura, so she decided to observe his actions. Maybe she could learn a thing or two.
Sitting down at the edge of the clearing, Yew watches the stranger with interest.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Tyonis practiced the exercise six more times, until he was visibly sweating. He allowed his Aura to remain active after the final repetition and turned his head toward the stranger silently observing him from the edge of the clearing.

One hand found its way to the hilt of his gunblade.

"Can I help you?" He prompted, his voice laced with suspicion.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Yew yelps and jumps a little.
Forgetting about her buggy friends, she hurriedly runs over to the stranger and bows her head in apology.
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you, I was just interested in what you were doing and-"
Yew continues her panicked apologies with her head bowed.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:21 pm

Tyonis eyed the woman for a moment and raised his free hand to silently stop her wave of apologies.

"There was no offense to reconcile," he replied, although his voice held no emotion and his face was void of any expression. "You were interested in Aura exercises? You must be a Huntress, then."
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:31 pm

Yew looked back up at the stranger.
"I'm not a Huntress, but I am interested in Aura exercises."
Yew bows her head again
"I hate to be a bother, but do you think you could give me some pointers? I'm not to good with my Aura yet."
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 26, 2014 11:42 pm

"Like any combat skill, there are two ways to train Aura," Tyonis held up one finger to emphasize.

"The first is through honing of one's willpower, which was what I was doing just now. Expanding your Aura's defensive capabilities beyond your person requires intense focus."

He lifted a second finger.

"The second method is... through sheer combat. After one's Aura is unlocked, it is possible to activate it sporadically during combat through pure instinct. Much like how a warrior ingrains certain reflexes after years of repetition, your mind will eventually reflexively activate your Aura during times of extreme martial duress."

He pauses to let his explanation sink in.

"The former is slower, but safer. The second method is faster, since you learn how to activate your Aura during combat, thus skipping the transitional step from non-martial exercise to actual combat. But the second method comes with the risk of injury or death, since you must be in or simulate a life-threatening situation to instinctively activate your Aura."
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 am

Yew nods her head at each point, as if trying to count the information as she receives it.
"Oh, I think I explained it wrong. I can use my Aura, and it's strong"
Yew produces a flame in her palm to show it
"I'm just not that great at controlling it."
Yew snuffs out her flame.
"Again, I'm sorry if I'm being a pain"
Yew looks apologetically at the stranger.
"I don't really like asking things of people I don't know, but you seem to have good control of your Aura, and I just thought this might be a good chance to learn something."
Yew suddenly looks mortefied
"Ohhmygosh, I'm so sorry, I didn't even ask your name. I'm Yew. Yew Carwen"
Yew offers her hand to the stranger.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:21 am

Tyonis nodded and smiled ever-so-slightly at her introduction.

"Tyonis Arks, 14th Heir to the Arks line of Hunters, 1st Year Student of Beacon Academy," he replied, his tone aristocratically formal. Rather than take Yew's hand, he bowed his head.

"If you are having problems controlling your Aura,I suggest releasing it as a stream of power, in as small an amount as possible. By generating as little power as you can, you effectively force your Aura through a tiny hole, thus honing your control. It is an exercise you can repeat several hundred times a day. After a week or two, you should notice sharp improvement in your control."
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:24 am

"Huh."
Having a slight idea on what to try, Yew focusses on her hand, picturing the 'Hole' in her palm. Pushing her Aura through it, she produces a welding flame from her palm, holding it for a few seconds before losing focus. The flame spreads over her hand for a moment before petering out.
"Hey, it worked!" She exclaims.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:28 am

Tyonis nodded approvingly at her success.

"Yes, now repeat that to the point where your head feels like it wants to explode and your Aura is completely drained. Several times a day, for the rest of your life, and you will be a master of Aura manipulation." He smiled sincerely at her.

"You mentioned you were not a Huntress, yet you have quite a bit of Aura. Not many civilians ever unlock their Aura, much less train enough to use it effectively - if not to hunt Grimm, why did you awaken yours?"
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 am

"Well, I'm not a Huntress, but I'm not exactly a stock standard civilian either." Yew starts off, while trying the Aura exercise again.
"I awoke my Aura to save a person who is very special to me."
The flame spreads again
"I failed, though." Yew's face flashes with sadness
She tries the exercise again, this time without a word. The flame shot right up for about 20 CM before collapsing.
"Oops, I think I let my emotion fuel it more than my mind"
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 am

"Empty your mind of needless emotion," Tyonis advised. "During combat, you will have to maintain a high level of control in spite of severe martial duress. I'm distracting you like this so you learn to split your focus between controlling your Aura and other activities."

He paused for a moment before continuing.

"Even through failure, I think it is very noble of you to fight for someone you care for." He trailed off.

"Did your special person perish?" He finally asked, his voice solemn.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 am

Yew tried the exercise again
"No, but it may have been a kinder fate. When I last saw him, he was not far above a mindless beast."
Yew holds the flame fora few seconds before manually releasing.
"I devoted the better part of 9 years trying to save him and it was for nothing. If I give p on him now, then my life has been worthless. Now I just want to support him in any way I can."
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:27 am

In spite of what he thought, Tyonis would say nothing. There was an inherent beauty in mindlessly following what what believed in. He wanted to say that a man who's mind was broken was a cause beyond lost. But his own opinion would be mere sophistry. If this woman wanted to dedicate her life to a such a pure but pointless goal, he had no right to judge.

For he was much the same.

"That's good," Tyonis praised with a nod. "You've grasped the basics of the exercise. Now it all comes down to repetition." He began to walk away, tucking his hands into his peacoat.

"I wish you luck in your endeavors, Yew Carwen."
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:39 am

"Thanks again for all your help. Maybe I'll see you around town" She said joyfully.
Yew looked into her pocket and pulled out some Lien
"Here, I'd feel bad if I didn't give you something in return. I don't have much, but here, take this"
She held the Lien out to Tyonis.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 am

Tyonis raised one hand over his shoulder to refuse, not bothering to turn around.

"Thank you, but I have no need or want of money. If you need another Aura lesson, come find me at Beacon Academy."

With that, he vanished into the red treeline.

Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 am

Yew freezes a little at the mention of Beacon.
"Then let me give you some advice as payment. That guy I was talking about? He attends Beacon as well. If you see a really tall muscular guy in a long grey cloak... Just... Don't do anything stupid."
Yew looks at the floor and fidgets her foot around.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:19 am

Tyonis paused as he took in her advise.

"What's his name?" He finally asked, sparing a glance over his shoulder.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am

"Shard. Shard Dayker. Please, I know how bad he seems, and he has a way of getting under your skin, but please, if only for your own safety, don't do anything stupid around him." Yew says pleadingly.
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:33 am

Tyonis held a hand up to pacify her concerns. "I do not garner amusement from antagonizing people," he replied with a nod. He had one hand lightly fisted around the hilt of his gunblade and used his free hand to push away the shrubbery and debris. He could have gone faster if he didn't bother, but with someone following him, the hunter made the conscious effort to clear as much of the path as he could.

"If you are up to it, would you tell me what happened to him?" He eventually asked as they made their way through the forest.
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:39 am

"Well, when we were young, a bandit group raided our village. He was taken as a slave, and was their captive for years. I don't know the details, but whatever they did to him there, it scarred him severely. His hair lost pigment and went grey from the things he saw."
Back to top Go down
Fire Lotus

Fire Lotus

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 am

"Stockholm Syndrome." Tyonis clarified. "Sometimes to survive, it's easier to become a monster when surrounded by monsters." He said as he stomped down a particularly pointed bush.

"My sympathies, Yew Carwen. But I feel you will be hard-pressed to save your friend."
Back to top Go down
Zou Sama
Chat Minion
Zou Sama

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 am

"I know i'll never be able to help him recover, but I can at least help him ease the burden on his shoulders. I got a well paying job, and I'm wiring the excess i don't need to his account, so hopefully that's helping some.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One way to navigate a forest.   One way to navigate a forest. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One way to navigate a forest.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next