RWBY: The RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWBY: The RPG

A role playing website based on Monty Oum's RWBY. Create your own character and weapon. Choose to protect the peace, or ruin it.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cheshire Schrodinger
Events Minion
Cheshire Schrodinger

Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Empty
PostSubject: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 pm

If you have watched the latest episode of RWBY (who am I kidding everybody probably watched it several times by now) then you are familiar with the new knowledge of "semblance", which appears to be some sort of extra ability separate from your aura skills and natural abilities (which would explain a lot now that you think about it). Now with this new knowledge we now know of a whole new part of the world. Being a site dedicated to RP based on this world it is given that we need to incorporate this. I believe it is needed for us to be allowed to edit our character template to add this (and maybe add more detail concerning personality or history while we're at it to match)

I propose that either the "Approved Characters" folder be unlocked for a few days to allow us to edit this bit in or anyone who wishes to simply ask any active admins to move their thread to the "Character Creation" forum to edit and wait for approval to make sure nobody tries something overpowered like "the Semblance of Deus Ex Machina or something".

In the end though it is of course up to the admins to give the final decision.
Back to top Go down
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Since its not totally a secret because its been mentioned in chat several times, I will say this.

Currently, the character template is being remade to include a few new sections, one of which is Semblance.

However, we are also going to be releasing a combat system with this new template. The combat system will focus on allowing roleplaying to be the dominant factor, while ensuring that fights are fair and balanced. We'll have much, much more information on this system sometime this week, and there will be a period of a few weeks between the announcement and the actual activation of the new system. This will give people time to edit their characters as they wish and have the changes reapproved if necessary. So for now, just hold on for a bit!
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 2:04 am

Noooo....not a fight system!

In any case, @Koop, if I could make a suggestion - rather than 'Strength', create a "Powers" section that details EVERYTHING. Semblance, Aura, included.

Also, Cheshire, I'm not fully sure as to whether or not its something separate from Aura. Amber pointed out to me a visual cue that correlates between what was said.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/finaldetermination
Kooplah
Head Admin
Kooplah

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 2:14 am

Strengths are not just for abilities and powers. Characters can have non-combat related strengths, like personality traits that benefit them.
Back to top Go down
JL

JL

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 3:54 am

Yeah....but wouldn't that fit more in personality....?

And its also an ability.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/finaldetermination
Cheshire Schrodinger
Events Minion
Cheshire Schrodinger

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 am

Well I have to agree with JL on that one, I'd say emotional and mental states that improve your abilities in some way would fall more under the "Personality Category" but I have to disagree on putting Semblance and Aura ability under strengths. Unless you have a high mastery of aura technique like Lie Ren I wouldn't calling your aura ability itself a strength and Semblance is merely an extra ability like a special skill or passive ability. In fact in a sense I'd say it would be considered another weapon in your arsenal but I wouldn't directly label it that. I'd have to say Semblance would have it's own category.

We don't know much about Semblance though other then what we can interpret from what we've seen. As stated, Ruby's Semblance is her light speed agility (Either that or she's just hyped on sugar) and Weiss's Semblance is her magic circles which we can guess enhances her dust magic (a term which is a sort of a stretch considering dust is considered more as a science) abilities while Pyrrha's Semblance is magnetism giving her the ability to apply force and attraction to most metallic objects (doesn't necessarily fit with her personality (unless you're going to be horribly corny and say she's naturally attractive) so that should be noted as a side note). We also see Yang setting herself on fire in Super Saiyijin mode so either she's a survivor of planet Vegeta or that is her Semblance that enhances her physical strength and speed. We also see traces of what may or may not be other character's Semblance like Jaune's passive healing abilities, Prof. Ooblak's automatic hyper sonic speed (or infinitely refilling mug of coffee), and Cardin's super douchebagginess (whether it's a super power or natural it is undeniably inhuman).

So this may require a bit of research but considering that they probably won't go into any high detail into Semblance at least not for a fairly long time, it is probably best to simply analyze and apply a good theory on the concept and if new info is presented later it is a mere matter or re-editing character info for a few seconds.

A few notable limits should be considered like nothing overpowered or vaguely describe as a passive ability like "The Semblance of Time Lord" or "Semblance of Deus Ex Machina" or "Semblance of the Force". Something more simply like either ability enhancing Semblance like "Semblance or Speed" or "Semblance of Aura Manipulation" or an extra skill Semblance like Pyyrha's such as "Semblance of Pyro Combustion" or "Semblance of Limit Range Teleportation".

Note that I added "limit range". It should be a rule to have either a limit or weakness to a Semblance to make it fair. I'm sure this is kanon because I'm fairly sure Pyyrha isn't able to call forth random metallic objects thousands of miles away or even anything too far away from her otherwise she'd just smash enemies down with a skyscraper or when Jaune was falling to his death she would just apply a magnetic attraction on his gear again and pull him towards her or by least slowed his falling. Even Rwby's speed seems to have its limit otherwise she'd use it off the bat and mince meat the enemy in a second without it being able to even see her coming or react at all. It probably exhausts her in some way or she can only keep it up for a limited time, who knows.
Back to top Go down
Cheshire Schrodinger
Events Minion
Cheshire Schrodinger

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 am

And on another note I'd sort of like to edit my Character info a bit. I'm not changing any powers or adding a new one yet I just took a look at my description under personality and history and felt it wasn't really that detailed so I'd like to add more info under that.
Back to top Go down
EB20410

EB20410

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 12:11 pm

My character's semblance will be a ONE-SHOTTING LASER FACE!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil 

(Yes I am just kidding)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?   Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character Cutomization Addition: Semblance?
Page 1 of 1